An ancient village perched on a striking ophiolite outcrop along the Rossenna stream.
Sassomorello once had a castle, of which all traces have now disappeared. Of the ancient parish church, which depended on the Pieve di Rocca S. Maria, only a few stone bases remain, incorporated into the buildings perched high over the rock wall. In 1859 the present church of San Bartolomeo was inaugurated, built further north than the previous one, while the old bell tower, which was part of the ancient complex, was modified in 1950. Inside is an 18th-century painting depicting the martyrdom of St. Bartholomew.
To the south of Sassomorello, worth a visit is the rural village known as "La Ca" spread around a large courtyard in the centre of which is a 16th-century tower with a sandstone dovecote and a sculpted cross-shaped portal.